Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Something about Italian Culture That I Enjoy


Culture can mean many things such as fashion, religion, art, food, family, relationships and many other things.
I most enjoy watching the culture of social relationships among Italians in everyday life. In general, they are very social. Ladies and men drop by the café to say hello to the people they know inside. They may stop for a coffee or not, but they pop in for a visit. When they go to a grocery store or shop, they know the people in the shop and strike up a conversation. They can be talking for about five minutes before the store clerk notices the next person in line, waiting to purchase something. Then the clerk rings up the customer while still talking to the first person. I cannot understand what they are talking about, otherwise I would also join in the conversation. I suppose I am very similar to them in freely talking to other people.
When families go out for dinner, I can tell they are a close knit group. The children are watched by all of the adults. For the most part, the children are well behaved. The families check on their children often, and give them pats of encouragement or hold their hands. They touch each other a lot to show their love and concern. In their eyes and faces I see compassion, caring and love. The mothers are not over protective. The kids are not running around or throwing tantrums. The family is closely watching and nurturing the children.
When in a fruit and vegetable market, a short, old man with a smiling face started to talk to us in Italian. He was proud that he was 92 years old, and said something about how he felt about it. He was very talkative and we just nodded, because we didn’t understand him except when I clarified with my fingers his age. He was a social guy and part of the Italian social scene. As usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment